Crafty as a Serpent

A knit blog with recipes and theological musings interspersed.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Maine, United States

Abby d'Ambruoso is a Lutheran pastor and interfaith chaplain, currently serving in a variety of ministries in Portland, Maine.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I am a clever knitter- the Yarn Harlot says so

Yesterday was a fantastic day off. I was in pj's until 2pm, when I finished Widdershins by Charles de Lint.  It was a great book to read on a stormy day, which it being Fall in Seattle, it was a terrifically stormy day.  The story takes place in alternate worlds, so after reading it, I felt like I was in an alternate world, too.  

I blocked Sarah's Wedding Shawl yesterday.  The pattern was the Lotus Blossom Shawl from Fiddlesticks in Canada.  I liked the simplicity and clean lines of the pattern.  The bobbles I left off. 

I'm going through a small withdrawl from shawls. I knit on my socks and dream of shawls I could cast on.  But I have a feeling I should wait for a little while before starting any big new projects.

After blocking, I went up to Third Place Books in Bothell for the Yarn Harlot's reading.  I love the Yarn Harlot.  Those of you who know me well know how much I love all things related to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.  She's so funny and encouraging of all people.  She is certainly a positive force for good in the universe. 

I waited in line for her to sign her new book which I had just purchased, and while I was there, I also showed her the sock that I'm knitting for a family member (who might read this blog).  This sock I am knitting is also my first design.  I'm really enjoying it, especially the Malabrigo sock yarn that I'm knitting it out of.  When I finish and give the present away, I'll show it to everyone.  But last night when I showed it to Stephanie Pearl McPhee, she said, "Aren't you clever" and then complimented me on the opposite cabling I did.  Yay!

So that's it for now. Summary: Yesterday was good. I'm knitting socks. And I miss knitting shawls at the moment. 

2 Comments:

Blogger meg said...

Widdershins is a great book - have you read "Trader," also by him?

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:40:00 AM  
Blogger k-bomb said...

That is some serious fun. I haven't read any of her books yet. Not sure why but I'm really disconnected from the world of main stream knitting.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home